Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Sep 1999 22:00:42 -0500
From:         "Roy O." <keepsake@PANGEA.CA>
Subject:      Additional Interior Lighting and Fresh Air Vents -Westfalia

I finished adding two additional 12V interior lights to my Westy. Although I took it slow and easy, probably about three times what it would normally take to do the job, I am very pleased with the results. Thanks go out to the listees who generously shared their tips and suggestions with me!

This was my first attempt at any kind of automotive electrical work (outside of changing blown headlight connectors due to over-wattage bulbs). I picked up two driver's side courtesy lights at a local used automotive parts emporium. I installed one light in the head liner over the front passenger seat and the other over the sliding door. The rear light isn't actually over the sliding door--after some experimentation, I decided the light would suit my purposes best if positioned in the channel just before the first vent behind the passenger seat. Positioned thusly, the person entering the van via the sliding door doesn't step into his/her own shadow. Both lights are switched, finally providing interior light as VW should have provided in the first place.

Taking advantage of the fact that the passenger side channel was partially removed, I decided to block the inlet for the first fresh air vent, hoping to improve on the anaemic performance of the two fresh air vents. Simply closing the directional vanes on the first vent doesn't seem to improve air flow through the rear most vent. I also inserted some foam pieces in the end of the channel at the rear most vent. The channel actually extends about two inches past the vent, thus allowing air to smack into the end of the channel and bounce around, impeding the uninterrupted flow of air through the rear most vent.My theory is that the air flow coming through the channel will now flow more smoothly and be concentrated solely on one vent (the one closest to the rear seat) instead of being distracted by interruptions in the channel...a similar theory to what Steven Sittser expounded in his A/C cowling project. Hey, it couldn't hurt, right?

That's it for "planned" projects until spring 2000.

Roy O. '87 Westfalia ('till death us do part)