Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Sep 1999 01:35:55 -0500
From:         Marshall Ruskin <mruskin@PANGEA.CA>
Subject:      Engine Warmers and Heaters - Winter's on the Way!

Hi Volks:

I don't want to subject my Westy to winter the way I did last year - so I'm looking at engine warmers in the JCW catalog. Never knew there were so many different gadgets!

1. magnetic-mount engine block heaters, 200 Watts, $25.99 2. Adhesive?-Stick-on Oil pan heater, 250 Watts, $59.95 3. Tank-type engine heaters, 750 -2000 Watt$, 24.99 - $39.99 4. Flexible dipstick engine oil heater, 75 Watts, $9.99 5. Battery Warmers, two types, 50 Watt, $22.99 - $29.99

In Winnipeg, where we know cold, a battery warmer is essential - no use in having a warm block if your batt has lost all it's charge. I bought a "wrap-around and tie up" one at Canadian Tire - cheap and worked fine.

Last year I used the VW oil pan heater - made my parking stall fragrant - but did little else.

This year I would like to get the tank-style heater - except I have to cut a rad hose to install it. In my 1.9 Litre, there are no frost-plugs (come on VW!), so I can't use a normal Canadian-style block heater.

Has anybody used the tank-style heater?

For those who don't know what I am talking about - they circulate warm coolant all through the engine. Have a thermostat, no overheating.

(BTW: Our AC here is the cheapest in the world - exporter of renewable hydro-electric power -all that snow melts - you should see how brightly lit our streets are!)

BTW #2: The list is surprisingly quiet about the refridgerator's issues now - a seasonal discussion coming to an end?

Marshall Ruskin 84 Westy "Iron Igloo" Founding Member of "Vanagon's Anonymous"