Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Sep 1999 23:04:32 -0700
From:         Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>
Subject:      Re: head gaskets
Comments: To: A & C Grobey <alien1@JPS.NET>

I'd be wary of adding Bar's Leaks or any other 'radiator' sealer. I've been a user of the product ever since I found that it is factory recommended in the 4.2 Jaguar engine. Used it extensively during my wasserleaker episode. Never experienced any problems before my wife, Lisa took the Vanagon on a 3500 mile trip to SoCal. Van started overheating in the Mojave. She nursed it to Vegas where at the advise of a benevolent type2 list member she took it to the local 'good' shop. The diagnosed a lazy thermostat and bad fan switch. Replaced both. Twenty-five miles out of town, the overheating continued. She nursed it a thousand miles (without blowing it up! GOOD WIFE!!!!) home.

Removed and replaced the radiator with a 'known good' one from my parter. For the first time since we've owned the Vanagon, the temp guage lives between the bottom and the LED. It's running cooler than it ever has.

So be forewarned; Use of cooling system sealers for leaking heads MAY require the replacement of the heat exchangers at a future point in time.

All the usual disclaimers apply. YMMV, IMHO, TANSTAAFL, etc.

Jim Arnott WetWesties Union, OR

A & C Grobey wrote: > > My sister has survived a long time on a coolant flush and some "Bars leaks" > every once in a while. She still has to watch her coolant level and replace > a little every once in a while, but she figures it will be new engine time > when it finally goes. She has an '87 Wolfy with high and hard miles so she > doesn't think its worth a rebuild. Bars leaks can be found anywhere they > carry stop leak stuff. It is cheap and easy. >