Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Sep 1999 02:13:54 -0400
From:         "Joe L." <jliasse@TOAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: head gaskets
Comments: To: James Ruch <jpeterruch@HOTMAIL.COM>

I know little of the various tricks for "getting a few more miles" but I CAN tell you that head gasket replacement is simply NOT that big a deal. I found out about the "Curse of the VW Headgaskets" after I bought my 83.5. For years I lived in fear of every little damp spot that showed up under the engine. Two years ago the blow finally struck. Finances being what they were it was fix it myself or park the Westy. Armed with "JB Weld" the Bentley and some hints from the folks here on the list I went to it. After a week of working a ocuple of hours a day the job was finisned and, much to my amazement, it started with the first key turn. It would not have taken me that long had I not needed to make a trip to the local machine shop to have a broken stud extracted. Also adding to the length of time was the careful laying out and labeling of every part I removed. Total cost of parts was under $200. I am NOT a mechanic. That job was the first time had ever been inside an engine. The job is a BIG PITA but certainly NOT the occasion for donning sack cloth and ashes nor for weeping and gnashing of teeth. If I can do it....

Hi All

I had hoped that maybe I was immune... but I started dripping coolant last week :-( While I try to decide if the gasket job is over my head (no pun intended) or not, can anyone tell me if I might get a few more miles out of my '85 transporter before jumping into this job (or hiring it out)? I'm probably getting about 20 drips per minute (dpm ?). I'm not very hopeful here.

J.Peter '85 Transporter: "Snugvagon"