Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Sep 1999 07:54:45 -0700
From:         Scott Fraser <kn6f@DOLPHINSCI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Hang 'em High 2 (vendor perspective)
Comments: To: KENWILFY@AOL.COM
Comments: cc: Todd Hill <jwilli941@AOL.COM>

Ken, Since I started this latest go-around of "crucifying vendors" , please allow me respond.

KENWILFY@AOL.COM wrote:

> I think that it is great that folks are really crucifying vendors on this > list. All I want to know is where do we vendors get to post our list of the > damned? Folks that order special parts and then never buy them, that have > work done at our shops and never pay, or tell us that a part is defective and > try to get thier money back and when they send us back the part it is a > different one than we sent them.

I am aware that there are scum out there using vendors as their private playgrounds. Buying tools from the snap on guy to fix a problem, and then returning it the next day, saying something like "it didn't quite work". Packaging an old part in the new box and shipping it back, saying "you sent me a broke part" (sic). Maybe you vendors need a "flake board" where you can exchange names and check the list before doing business. But that is not why I write.

[...]

> So don't be quick to judge others. The person could be worthy of his public > reproof or not. Time will tell. > > As for me I have had only one experience with Todd Hill and it was positive. > Many experiences with Vanagon Projekt and all were positive. >

I too know that Todd is a great guy. You say, "wait a minute, how can he be a great guy and do all these things you say at the same time?". Things and people change.

In my presentation, I attempted to provide ONLY the facts, holding back only the fluff, pleasantries and family talk. I did not get up there and call Todd some blank-blank that was messing with me and go away. I have been a benefactor of all of Todd's helpful writings and responses to transmission questions. He was always quick to try and provide a diagnosis-by-wire. I have to assume that his advise typically was sound or he would not have built up the reputation that he has. While they have been few compared to the number of positive responses to my original post, I have received a number of flames, asking me how could I post something like that about Todd, he's one of the good guys. Just give him some time. That's what I sent to the first person who inquired about Todd, back in June. I have since had to send him my apologies as it turns out that he was correct about Todd.

Let me state for the record. 1. Todd has provided an enormous amount to the VW community, from vintage to modern day vehicles. 2. He has built up an wealth of well deserved good will 3. I enjoyed chatting with him via email and phone about various subjects. 4. He has taken on work that he cannot deliver and has not refunded any deposits.

5. He has removed himself from communication with his customers 6. That I am aware that a. he holds, my deposit money, b. he holds the transmission and deposit money from another customer, c. he holds the transmission that was returned for rework as it was delivered in non working condition, d. there is another transmission sitting at a customer's house, delivered in non working condition. 7. I was informed that he took in transmission (b.) and deposit in the period that he could not deliver to me.

The most important of all, NONE OF THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN MADE PUBLIC, if Todd had kept in contact with his customers, been honest about what was going on. We have heard stories of tragic times at home, but that gets us no closer to getting our vehicles back on the road.

Let me ask you, how long is appropriate to wait for a vendor to deliver, once the deposit check has been cashed? My city apparently thinks much less than I had to wait, as they filed formal notices against me and my truck. I had to deal with them, delay them, delay them again, and finally ran out of time, all while Todd assured me that I would have the transmission . I ended up going out and buying a rebuilt trans locally to get the legal proceedings stopped and keep my truck out of jeopardy.

Finally, let me ask you. How long was I supposed to be strung along, while not hearing from Todd, without myself warning others of what I was going through?

The VW community has for now lost a valuable resource for dealing with our transaxle problems. I hope and believe that Todd will get everything straightened out at home and with his current customers and get back on track. When he does, I for one will welcome him back Until then, let the buyer beware.

Scott '60 double cab -- --------------------------------------------------------------------- Scott Fraser mailto:kn6f@dolphinsci.com Lakewood CA To Page me send an email to mailto:4252006@MobileComm.net Still waiting for $300 - http://www.dolphinsci.com/toddhill.html