Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Sep 1999 10:11:41 -0700
From:         Pete Cassidy <pcassidy@APPLE.COM>
Subject:      Re: nein, nein, nein, nein
Comments: To: L&A Johnson <larry_avery.johnson@SYMPATICO.CA>

L&A Johnson said:

>Chuck Mathis wrote: > >> Another media hype -- September 9, 1999 in every language I've studied is >> 090999 not 9999.<snip> > >Chuck, you are correct if the field was six alpha bytes "090999" but in >the 70's >when space was tight, the field would most likely would have been four hex >bytes >#9999. In the '70s we wrote mostly in macro assembler because space was >precious >and COLOL, PL/1 and FORTRAN where hogs. I am afraid that assembler languages >probably predate your studies. > >Larry

<GEEK>

But in hex-world, to denote a field as invalid, most people would have used FF FF FF FF - your four hex bytes would read 09 09 09 09 which looks a little wierd. The 'FF' blank date wouldn't cause a problem for a *long* time. Unless you're using 4-bit nibbles for part of the date, in which case there isn't enough room for the 'day' field.

</GEEK>

OBVanagon - saw loads of vanagons at Burning Man last week. A sighting of Otmar's Stretch was reported & I missed meeting Chris Paquette at the Bus Camp by about an hour. Our '88 van spent over an hour idling in the desert on the way home & didn't boil over, much to our amazement. Photos in a few days .....

Pete C

-- Peter Cassidy, pcassidy@apple.com Sr. Test Dev. Engineer (916) 394-5302 - phone Sacramento Operations Center (916) 815-0762 - pager Apple Computer Inc.