Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Sep 1999 10:47:37 -0700
From:         "Johnson, Darrell" <JohnsonD@SYBRONDENTAL.COM>
Subject:      Re: waterboxer overhaul,
              more power and Australian coolant proble m fix?

A side note on this. Here in Southern California, Fast German Auto ( http://www.fastgermanauto.com ) also offers a valve performance modification for "heavy breather" heads for the waterleaker. For my upcoming rebuild I plan to install them. As far as I know, they make no corrosion reduction claim for this particular mod, though.

-----Original Message----- From: Dom [mailto:dmoon@METZ.UNE.EDU.AU] Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 1999 10:30 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: waterboxer overhaul, more power and Australian coolant problem fix?

Hi

In relation to the head leaks, Vintage VW in Sydney Australia have come up with a theory and a product to eliminate/greatly reduce? the chance of this happening again.

Their theory, and they know enough about VW's to provide reasonable assurance that it's well informed if not proven, is that the problem occurs due to an engine hotspot as the coolant passes through the head. At a point during this passage the coolant reaches boiling point or close too but cools down again as it circulates throughout the system. Thus the need to replace coolant not too irregularly as this hotspot somehow transform's the composition of the coolant into something more corrosive. (please bare with me, Im writing from memory of reading an article on the subject in an Aussie VW magazine about 2 years ago. I'll try and find it this weekend) The older the coolant therefore, the more corrosive it becomes..

What they have developed is a modified computer chip combined with a set of rockers they have designed which I think open the valves wider. Don't quote me on that however as I am not sure if I remember correctly the actual function of the rocker mod. Those of you that understand the characteristics of rockers more intricately than I might be able to suggest what these do to increase airflow through the valves to enable cooler running and increase power. (the power increase is quite nioticeable according to their dyno testing). Apparently you need the chip to use the rockers .

As I said, I will try and find this article over the weekend and reproduce it more accurately. Failing that my holidays start this weekend so I'll just give them a ring on monday and have a chat. They love talking the VW anyway.

This may suggest as well why the european carby models don't have the same problem (earlier post) . Maybe they run cooler in this region

The last price I got on this set was $AUS1500 which is about $US980

Dom :)