Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Sep 1999 15:51:02 EDT
From:         Paolo Damiani <PaoloD1455@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Hang 'em High 2 (vendor perspective)

In a message dated 9/9/99 3:17:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time, lindgre@ONLINE.NO writes:

> I believe it is not right to put any vendor in a pillory, no matter > what he has or hasn't done. This is strictly a matter between the two > parties > on each side of the tranny, not the entirety of two mailing lists.

I disagree. I believe many vendors have built their business largely from the patronage of the list subscribers. In return for a clear market and a way to get some free advertising via the list, they have given us lots of free advice and very pointed service ("Where do I find..." and then Kyle, Ron, Ken ... whoever respond with "I've got...". ) Try finding some parts for our increasingly rare vehicles without the assistance of this list, and you may end up at the Parts Place (God forbid).

It's not a pillory but the sharing of experience (both good and bad). If we recommend vendors based on positive experiences, why shouldn't we issue caveats based on the negative ones.

However, since this is a community of sorts, and both the vendors and the customers benefit from this relationship, I think complete candor is necessary and welcomed. I've never dealt with Todd, but I have dealt with Kyle, Ron and Ken. I also have purchased some used parts from a fellow list member. All my experiences so far have been positive, but I may not have even attempted to deal with these "small time" businesses, if it were not for the confidence I received from the candor of people relating their experiences.

If a list member has had a difficult time with a vendor, then at a certain point, the list member should share this with the fellow members of the community. I remember there was a period a while back where some members had some problems getting through to the Bus Depot. Many of recounted our positive experiences with the Bus Depot and Ron came forth and explained what happened. This is a good thing for Ron as a businessman and us as customers.

I hope that Todd's problems are getting resolved, but business is business. If he is having difficulties, he owes it to his customers to come clean and "make amends" on these issues. His problems cannot be used as an excuse to cause other people to have troubles. I wish him well and hope that he comes forward to tell us what's up, that things are better, and that he will make good on his agreements.

Paolo 89 Carat Eurospec'd 151K