Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Sep 1999 17:05:18 -0400
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: :(   Matt's Schwimmwagen Westy, update ( LONG )
Comments: To: Matt Brickell <bricknord@WEBTV.NET>

Matt-

One of the best things you could do RIGHT NOW to salvage the interior would be to get it DRY ASAP. All of the cabinetry and upholstery will be worthless if they stay moist for long. Make sure you empty that leaky propane tank THEN:

If you or a family member has a dehumidifier, put it in the Westy with all the windows closed, and put it on HIGH. Drain it frequently.

If you don't have a dehumidifier, a small electric space heater would do, but open the front windows about 1/2", and leave it on high. Save what you can....

G. Matthew Bulley Director Bulley-Hewlett & Associates www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

-----Original Message----- From: Matt Brickell [SMTP:bricknord@WEBTV.NET] Sent: Thursday, September 09, 1999 3:31 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: :( Matt's Schwimmwagen Westy, update ( LONG )

Well, folks, thanks a lot for the many sympathetic messages I have received regarding my Westy that rolled into the pond. Now that it is daylight and the insurance adjustor ( Farmers ) has been out here is the update is anyone is interested:

The left front tire is flat and the rim bent. Plenty of muck in the front suspension but no obvious structural damage. ( See next )

The gas tank is crushed, seems that it absorbed a lot of the impact on racks going in. The two straps are severed and hanging down but the tank has not fallen. Good for it, it was leaking anyway :)

I heard a hissing sound for a few hours after it was brought on shore. Probably a propane line leak I am guessing. This must have occurred bringing it back out over the rocks because it was not bubbling while in the water.

All interior wet up to about the door handles. The dash went under while towing it out so the electrical gizmos are soaked.

The adjustor said Farmers does not rely on book value ( good ). They look at local and regional classifieds, try to find them on dealer lots, and research the internet to get a good average which he said is usually better than book retail especially on this type of vehicle. I had printed off about 8 ads I found on the web in the $6500-8500 range for equivalent vans. He was eager to get those from me as he said he would have a hard time getting good info himself on a Westy out here. I think this will work in my favor, as he said all he needs is documentation to justify to the company his settlement amount. Of course, all the $2500-4000 vans I saw mysteriously did not get printed and given to him :).

The rear bumper is bent to hell from the extraction process and the sheetmetal under it slightly bent out but no biggie at all.

I probably will not have time to mess with the restoration myself. This is probably a shame since the right person could probably do a hell of a job on it and it would be tip top again. I inquired about purchasing the salvage and he said he will let me know tomorrow the settlement and the amount for that if I want to do it. I will probably let it go to the yard ( it will be the best looking car in the salvage lot for certain ) due to no time to mess with all this. I would consider keeping it and selling the entire van complete to a list member in the interest of it going to a good home but only if someone was really interested. The right person would have a soggy but hardly ever used fridge stove all cabinets 100% the upholstery damp but virtually unworn, engine and tranny running fine before, all glass perfect, top great with perfect canvas, no body damage other than one minor dent in side almost unnoticeable and the aforementioned rear valance/bumper. Who knows underneath but looks a lot better than I though last night. If you stood a couple of car lengths away you would probably never know anyhting happened except for the flat tire. If someone wants it and has a way to trailer it from Kansas City in the next couple of weeks ( I know I live in the middle of nowhere sorry ) let me know and I will consider offers. I need to make the decision in about 24 hours. Thanks again for all the support.

Matt Brickell :( 83 Jetta TD 86 Jetta D 84 Westy gas 1.9 Auto A/C White/Brown interior 122,000 miles heads redone at around 90K no coolant leaks evident to me ran straight as an arrow at 75 mph all day previously. Known locally as "The Floating Box". Now forlornly sitting next to the Jettas drying out awaiting its fate.

Olathe, KS