Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Sep 1999 18:51:42 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>
Subject:      Re: Hang 'em High 2 (vendor perspective)

My take on this (from a vendor's perspective, of course), is that the list is an appropriate forum for notifying members about problems, but one that should be used with discretion.

I suppose I should note that I'm speaking in generalities here, not referring specifically to the two vendors that have taken bad press in this case.

You need to know how much harm you can do. Even the mere allegation of a problem with a vendor, whether true or not, seriously harms that vendor's business. If someone posts a complaint to the list, it directly affects how much money I bring home that week, plain and simple. It doesn't even matter if the complaint is valid - the mere allegation does all the harm, and its fallout tends to last several weeks. Many people will only remember that a question was raised about my service or parts. They won't remember any details, just something like "oh yeah, I heard someone say Bus Depot has bad parts" or whatever. So they'll tend to order from a vendor -on the list or off- who has had _no_ press rather, than the one who had a bad remark directed toward them. This is compounded by the fact that people are typically much more likely to post complaints than praise - so very often it's the one problem that gets aired, not the hundreds of other satisfied customers. This tends to hurt the higher-volume vendors the most, since we will have a larger number of "screw ups" simply because we take more orders in the first place. If I only shipped two or three orders a week, I'd have nary a complaint. If I ship a hundred a week, there's bound to be a screw-up once in a while, just by the law of averages.

These things said, I feel that it is encumbant upon you to make every reasonable attempt to resolve the problem directly with a vendor before airing it to the list. This is only fair to the vendor, most of whom really do want to serve their customers well. Most people are pretty fair about this, but I have had one or two cases where a person very publicly aired a complaint that they had not even approached me with first. In once case I could have resolved it very quickly if they had only let me know about it; in another they didn't even have a remotely valid complaint in the first place. One guy has ordered parts twice, and both times publicly criticized me on the Type 2 list for slow service without even allowing enough time for UPS time-in-transit. In other words, we shipped the order the day after he placed it, and before UPS even had time to get it to him, he was complaining to the list that he hadn't gotten his part. When someone attacks the Depot publically, I have to admit I take it personally. I've worked very hard (and still do, 60-70 hours a week) to build the Depot, and have a lot invested in it, not just financially but emotionally as well. It's hard to explain, but when you grow a company from nothing, and invest so much of your time and energy and "soul" into it, it becomes an extension of yourself. Those of you who run your own businesses probably know what I mean. When someone posts a criticism to the list without talking to me first, it's the same in my mind as if they posted a personal attack on me. Sort of like being hit below the belt without warning.

Of course, if all reasonable attempts at resolving the problem with the vendor fail, you certainly have a right - perhaps even a responsibility - to warn other listmembers about your experience. Just be fair about it, and realize what harm you can do so don't abuse the power. Most of us are just small businesses, with the best of intentions even if we don't always succeed.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. http://www.busdepot.com