Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Sep 1999 16:19:16 -0700
From:         Tim King <tking_ms@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Minor tales of woe/new dead westy (long)

Hey All --

A couple of weeks ago I bought a syncro westy in Colorado. I purchased the vehicle with an engine swap in mind, and considered transporting it to Seattle. Instead, I opted for adventure and attempted to drive it part way home to meet up with a friend, then I'd then have it hauled to Seattle. About 200 miles into the trip, I began hearing an exhaust leak. Turns out one of the exhaust studs was either broken or missing. Closest town was Cheyenne, Wy so I kept driving. After much hassle, I was unable to get studs/gaskets and decided to drive with the exhaust leak. Another couple hours later, the crossover pipe decides to leave the van. The van got LOUD, but was still running -- considering that I was crossing the Continental Divide, it was actually cooking along pretty good (55-65mph). A few more hours of LOUD driving, then... some VERY LOUD coughs...hacks...sputters... I pull off the highway. The westy is still running, but very poorly, lots of black smoke, and VERY LOUD. Looks like the connector pipe studs (all but one) let go. and now both sides of the heads are venting upstream of the cat/muffler and o2 sensor without any back pressure. Luckily this took place a mere 1/4 past the only exit for about 20 miles. I manage to back down the on ramp -- vehicle only has enough power to move in reverse and the g-gear.

I come to rest at the friendly Jolly Jack's fireworks store (SALE! all fireworks 2-for1!) in lovely Point of Rocks, Wy. Bob at the fireworks store was quite nice, letting me camp out in his lot for the evening, then letting me keep my van there for a week while I arranged to have it shipped home. If you are ever in Point of Rocks, stop in and see Bob. He's a good guy and besides, he's got tons of awesome fireworks.

I spent a sleepless night in my comfortable new westy listening to train whistles and semi-trucks. In the morning, I surveyed the situation:

1. Van won't start. Starter won't even click. Battery seems to be holding a charge (note: new starter in the past couple years). 2. Oil level and cleanliness fine.(I had changed to Mobil 1 15-50 and factory filter before I left). 3. No obvious exit holes in motor. 4. Crossover pipe is trashed (about 90 percent missing). Right side studs _fell_ out of head, didn't break (Note: VW dealer done heads within the last 7k miles) 5. gear oil (I think) is leaking from in between motor and tranny). Further, at least one bolt that holds the two together is missing. Did this vibrate off? (side note: vehicle had a clutch within the last thousand miles). 6. right side head exhaust port looks very sooty. 7. Oil pressure light blinks when I turn key on (is this normal?) 8. Brake light was "on" when vehicle died.

No U-hauls available within 500 miles, so that afternoon, my sister-in-law rescued me, took me to the Idaho Fall airport and I flew home. I spent the past week+arranging for vehicle transport (I'll post some thoughts on vehicle transport options in a separate post) and then waiting for the van arrive. It arrived Tuesday and now I'm dying to get it up and running, so I can spend my free time thinking about fun stuff like motor options, heaters, seam rust and stereos.

So, here are my questions/thoughts/plans:

I'm thinking the van won't run (assuming the starter worked) because of the lack of exhaust back pressure (essentially none). Remember, it was still running until I shut it off). Worst case (I hope) is that I sucked a valve? Any thoughts? I plan to replace the crossover pipe, gaskets and studs, and take it from there.

Starter: Maybe got too hot from all the exhaust gases and got cooked? Maybe a wiring harness got fried (not as far as I can tell). Anyone have any tests?

Any thoughts on gear oil/tranny. It _seemed_ to be running/shifting fine (though the linkage was a little sloppy/rattley (is that a word?).

Brake light: Brake lines got too hot? Plan to flush system and inspect lines (replace as necessary).

Any other thoughts? Again, keep in mind that I purchased this with the intent of an engine swap -- I realize it was hard on the vehicle to drive it in this condition, but at the same time, I didn't really feel like spending a weekend in Wyoming, _hoping_ I could get parts/service Monday morning. At this point, I'd love to get it running, _then_ investigate engine swap possibilities.

Thanks,

Tim Seattle, WA 87 Syncro Westy (Hmmm, how's Jolly sound for a name?)

PS -- thanks again to Bob at Jolly Jacks. He was literally the _only_ nice person I met in Wyoming. Most others basically treated me with a "you bought a foreign car and got what you deserved" attitude.