Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Sep 1999 17:31:25 -0700
From:         harald_nancy <harald_nancy@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: waterboxer overhaul and coolant problem fix?

Hello, Cylinder head corrosion: Dom raises an interesting point when he states that Vintage VW in Sydney came to the conclusion that the corrosion is due to hot spots in the cylinder heads.

I found it interesting, because that is exactly what Russ Meeks of "RM Engineering" explained to me. The solution: Have the cylinder heads ceramic coated. It reduces the amount of heat transferred to the coolant (and also protects the mating surface of the rubber gasket). Russ runs a relatively small shop, and he really knows what he's talking about. He has a long-time reputation in Portland, Oregon.

I drove all the way to Portland to meet him in person, before I would leave my new set of cylinder heads with him. I did get them back ceramic coated according to the agreement, and price agreed. It did take a couple of weeks longer that he thought, but it wasn't a problem for me. If anyone is interested, here is his address: Russ Meeks, RM Engineering, Finish Line Coatings Ceramic Thermal Barrier Coatings 2889 S.E. Silver Springs Road Milwaukie, Oregon 97222 (503) 659-4278

He's done a lot of vw heads, air and water-cooled.

Harald '90 westy

Dom wrote: > In relation to the head leaks, Vintage VW in Sydney Australia have come up > with a theory and a product to eliminate/greatly reduce? the chance of this > happening again. > > Their theory, and they know enough about VW's to provide reasonable > assurance that it's well informed if not proven, is that the problem occurs > due to an engine hotspot as the coolant passes through the head. At a point > during this passage the coolant reaches boiling point or close too but cools > down again as it circulates throughout the system. Thus the need to replace > coolant not too irregularly as this hotspot somehow transform's the > composition of the coolant into something more corrosive. > > Dom :)