Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Sep 1999 19:42:03 -0500
From:         John Clavin <jjc@BGA.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oh No! Misthreaded exhaust bolt?!

If you call a good tool supply shop, you should be able to locate a metric bottom tap. It will give you the ability to cut the threads a little deeper in the hole. The one or two extra threads made a difference in my case. I then used a longer bolt and shimmed it with thin washers to exactly the right length.

Also, I learned the following trick the hard way. Do not try to force the alignment of the exhaust pipes to the head even by the slightest amount. If they are not perfectly aligned with the holes, then disconnect the exhaust pipe at the "Y" where the left and right sides come together. You should then be able to fit the exhaust to both head ports with no difficulty and tighten it down properly. Then you can safely apply a little persuasion, if necessary, to reconnect the other end of the exhaust back to the junction. It is easier to persuade that end, and a lot more forgiving of abuse than the heads. It takes about five minutes longer, but I wouldn't consider doing it any other way after all the grief I had with stripped head bolt holes.

********** John Clavin | jjc@bga.com | Austin, TX **********