Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Sep 1999 07:46:18 -0400
From:         EMZ <vw4x4@FYI.NET>
Subject:      Re: Sandblasting
Comments: To: "Fitz-Randolph, Douglas" <dfrandolph@TALKAM.net>

Years ago HP = CFM. This meant bigger HP more CFM. Sales jerks catch on quick, and had Tiwain junk make with big HP compressors and junk pumps. So people were getting cheap, low output compressors, with a good motor, and paying the big bucks. I am using one.... It is make (imported) by Snap on, and is a 5 HP. I also have a old 1 1/2 HP, compressor that will almost keep up with in, except the tank is to small. What you want to look for, is the CFM rating. bigger the better.

If this is a one shot deal, there are people that do sandblasting for industry, that you can hire. I had my 1936 chrysler done this way. They will blast as little or as much as you want. MAke sure you duct tape up anything that you don't want sand blasted that is close you the rust.

You are asking alot to try to get a portable compressor to sand blast. I would recomend a gas compressor if portablilty is what you need. 110v would be pushing a 20 amp continuous draw, and be marginal at best.

One last note. Sand blasting makes one hell of a mess. Sand is every where, when your done. It is worse than a week at the beach with ten dirty kids. A spot blaster requires less CFM, and makes less mess, but is limited in it's ability. I have never tried one but this is the way I would go if I had to do the last 20 years over.

Eric 86-VW4x4 vw4x4@fyi.net 72-240z Pittsburgh, PA USA 1936-Chrysler