Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Sep 1999 15:07:02 -0300
From:         Malcolm Stebbins <Malcolm.Stebbins@MSVU.CA>
Subject:      Westy Utility Port Rust

I have taken EVERYTHING (from the front seats back) out of my Westy. As I look around, I want to suggest several worrisome items. Here is one:

The four plastic covers for the Fridge Flue. Electricity, Reservoir water, Mains water, all had rust around the edges of the metal holes. I could not see any rust with the covers ON, but with the covers off, I could see the rust. Now the bad news is that the rust had grown around on the INSIDE of the panel too. As I had all of the interior panels off and the insulation out, I was able to sand off - use rust converted paint, anti-rust paint primer and then top-coat it all prior to putting the utility covers and the interior back together. I also used some seam sealer around the top and both sides (but not the botton) of the plastic utility panels as I installed them.

I wrote this to warn you that yours are probably rusting too, and mine Westy is a 'new' 1991. Malcolm S