Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Sep 1999 19:13:25 -0400
From:         santos <afn18258@AFN.ORG>
Subject:      3 seat bench renov. '85 westy

howdy all.

i'm at that point in life where i've got to make a fairly serious decision concerning my van. whether or not to alter the interior to suit my current needs. and i'm looking for a little input, positive or otherwise.

what i'm a-gonna do....remove the fridge, sink and stove. possibly the side cabinets immediately connecting the aformentioned. why? so i can make room in the center strip for a three seat bench. i'll be keeping the current rear seat, but it will probably not get any use as a seat (it will likely be down all the time). why am i removing these items? frankly, i just don't use them anymore. even when i camp, i always carry tons of water in 1 ltr. jugs. i don't eat meat so the fridge is practically obsolete. and as far as cooking on the range, when i'm outdoors, i'd much prefer to use an open pit fire. i'll eventually remove the entire ac unit as well, but that's another day and another story.

i'm figuring at worst, it'll make the vechile damn near impossible to sell. and a few hundred pounds lighter (and a degree safer).

questions?

is it possible to take a rear three seat and -safely- install it in (over, around, through etc.) the middle track? has anyone done this? i know it's been done with a two seater, but... if i could rig a three way weekender seat, that would be ideal. one monster bed immediately after the driving cab.

my only alternative would be keeping (and then selling) my westy intact and getting a double cab. but -that- doesn't seem very likely to be happening in the next five years of my life. so....

whadda ya think?

Rik