Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Sep 1999 10:06:32 -0400
From:         Brian Cirulnick <techrat@VM.COM>
Subject:      Temporary Mystery Loss of Power

Howdy Listees!

Help me solve this mysterious problem. Here are the details:

On Friday September 10th, I decided to drive up to the Boston area (from the NYC area) to visit a friend for his Birthday. Now for most Listees here, a drive like that is probably nothing, but for me, this was my first REAL long-distance trip with the Vanagon. I decided to add an extra hint of danger (or stupidity) because driving up that day, most of the East Coast was being subjected to torrential, monsoon-like downpours of very heavy rain.

The first half of the trip was no problem. In fact, I was almost in Rhode Island before I even noticed a problem (probably because I was only driving at 50mph anyhow, due to the weather) - but I stupidly got off on Exit 92 in CT. to search for some gas, only to find myself on a random rural road where there's nothing for as far as the eye can see. I say to myself, "screw it", and try to get back on the highway, figuring I can find a better place in RI. Climbing the on-ramp, my Vanagon has no power. I'm in second gear, flooring it, and the engine isn't getting above 2000RPM. And the incline isn't that steep. It's bucking.

"oh-oh", I think, remembering stories like this on the list, "bad AFM, or some other mechanical/electronic component that means a repair is needed - except that I'm still hours from my destination." I manage to nurse the machine back on the highway (heavy rain and traffic nonwithstanding). Now I'm listening to the engine, I'm running a zillion possible problems through my head and trying to think about how I can get to my destination, and if I have to, abandon it there, get it repaired, and come back for it next week.

I stop in Rhode Island's tourist info center to let the engine cool down. If it's a bad AFM, I recall, giving it some time to cool should allow me to get going again. So I stop, hit the bathrrom, read the maps, and waste about 15 minutes. I start her up, try and get going again. The problem persists. To me, it's ironic because the engine is the best part of the Van - the body has a few dents and some minor spots of rust, but the engine doesn't leak coolant, and is very reliable.

On downhills, it's not so bad, I can step on the gas, and speed up, but climbing any sort of incline, I lose speed. It almost feels as if the Vanagon is dragging something or the parking brake is slightly engaged.

The rain gets harder, and Rhode Island is designed like a gentle roller coaster. Between the weather and my problems, at some points, I was driving as slow as 40mph. In Pawtucket, I get my needed gas, and continue on, as it's less than an hour to my destination from here. However, the rain gets even worse as soon as I enter Mass.(literally I cannot see more than 100 ft in front of the van).

I make it to my destination. Total travel time is about 7 hours.

The next morning, it's bright and sunny and cool. I prepare the van to head back to NYC. When I first start the van, it almost sounds like it's missing a piston. Aha, I think, that would explain things if I'm running on three instead of four. I wind my way back onto 95 for the trip home. I drive with a strategy on speeding up on the downgrades so the inertia will carry me over the inclines. I get it up as much as 80mph on the down, and as little as 60mph on the up. I pass slower vehicles on the downgrades only, but, I start doing math in my head, and figure that I've got enough gas to get halfway through CT., I'll make that my only stop, and if I just keep driving like this, I'll probably make it home.

It's a fine day for driving, traffic is light, and compared to the previous day, a "no-brainer". I get a fine left arm sunburn. I spot a brown Vanagon with two brown canoes ontop headed North. If you're on the list, "Hi!".

I make my stop in a rest area about halfway through CT (New Haven area). Gas up the Vanagon. Get back on the highway. NO PROBLEM!!!!. All the (relative) power I'd expect to get from the Van is back. I can pass cars on an incline. The machine feels light and responsive again. Basically, from this point on - I'm back to what I was before the machine left home yesterday. Total travel time home = 4-1/2 hours.

So, here are my thoughts, but if anyone has a better idea, please sing out! A) Water got into the fuel system (I have a suspect spot where that could happen), and made the van act like I was running on 12 octane gas. B) Water got through the breather, soaked the air cleaner and introduced water into the engine. C) Plain old wet wires, and once I drove far enough, everything dried out. D) My van doesn't like being north of New Haven CT.

Right now, I'm going to avoid long-distance trips if the weather is foul. Maybe a trip to the desert is what the Van needs....

Any thoughts? Anyone else ever experience anything like this? Oh, for those that want the vitals, it's a regular '85 GL 4-speed, blue.

Thanks! Brian Cirulnick techrat@vm.com

--

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- V A N G U A R D M E D I A C O R P E-mail: techrat@vm.com URL: http://www.vm.com/ BBS: (telnet into) bbs.vm.com:3000 --> (or dial into) 212-242-7685 -The 'Web' is a medium. This is because it is neither rare, nor well done.-