Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Sep 1999 11:15:31 -0700
From:         Richard Golen <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU>
Subject:      Eurovan Fuel Problem - "Kiss off" by VW Customer Service
Comments: To: ev_update@maller.com

The saga continues.....

On Friday, I contacted VW's Customer Relations Dept. about the fire in my EV and that I found a number of consumer complaints on the NHTSA/DOT website. I was told that VW was not aware of any problem with Eurovan fuel systems, and the conversation ended.

Armed with the information from the Canadian recall I called this morning. The first person I spoke with asked if I had a case number, to which I responded I wasn't assigned one. After checking her computer, she said, you have one, here it is...

From there I was transferred to another individual who stated the gentleman who was assigned my case was not in, but that she would handle it. I explained about the Canadian recall, and was gruffly dismissed. I was told that Canadian and US models are vastly different. To which I countered that the parts numbers for the fuel lines are the same.

She then said, but your's is a '93 model. I responded by telling her that the Canadian recall didn't occur until 1994, and secondly my EV was built in the first 10 days of August 1992, so there would have been no time to correct a problem which didn't manifest itself until a year or so later.

At that point her attitude changed, and she said, "Well its an insurance company matter and if the insurance company decides to contact us, its up to them"

Detecting a little hostility in her attitude, I said that I've been a loyal customer and since 1986 have purchased 4 new VW...one every three years or so, all I am looking for is to be put in the position I was in two weeks ago, a working van and no out of pocket ($500 deductable on policy). She said, "That's nice, but we will let our attornies handle it from here on out, deal with your insurance company."

So I then said, now that you have brought up attornies, I want to inform you that I am an attorney....

At which point I received a gruff "good day", and that was the end of the conversation.

I am really getting pissed here...I've been a loyal, card carying VW owner/buyer/fan for almost 30 years. It may be time to buy some other type of car.

Thanks for putting up with the rant....

Ric