Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Sep 1999 12:34:13 PDT
From:         "T.J. Sheffield" <kl7ts@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      S&S Headers - fitmet problems
Comments: cc: Rubatoguy@MINDSPRING.COM

Hello Todd, here's what I did:

Start with the shortest header pipe. Only "snug" up the bolts enough to leave some play in the system. Move on to the next longest pipe and pull it in, followed by the next longest, and finally the last header pipe. Leaving the longest pipe for last should give you enough "lever arm" to pull the system into alignment. I was able to do it solo, but an assistant would be useful for holding things in position. Before I installed the headers, I carefully "chased" the head threads with a tap and then installed the bolts using "anti-seize" (Permetex 133A or equivalent).

Save one of your original muffler supports and use it to cradle the new muffler pipe that connects the new muffler to the cat converter. You might need to fabricate some kind of clamp to hold it onto the original support. I used two muffler clamps to straddle the original muffler support, and connected the bottom of the left clamp across the support to the bottom of the right clamp. You'll see what I mean when you install the muffler.

I bought one of the first Vanagon header/muffler systems from S&S (before they moved to Arizona) and the engineer I worked with in 1996 was named Loren Barnes. He may have come up with a better support arrangement by now. Be prepared for lots of smoke when you first fire it up, since there is a residual flim of oil used in the manufacturing process that burns off when the exhaust gets hot. Tighten all the bolts every week or so, since they do work loose as the system and gaskets burn in, but eventually things will stabilize.

I've been happy with these headers, they do provide a performance increase, and although it's not a kick in the pants you will notice it. You also get the "big sound" from the muffler, but it's not obnoxious (at least to my ears). Here in Alaska I passed the smog inspection with no problems, both the visual and the sniff test.

I've seen mention on the list that the S&S header pipes were too thin, and I don't know how to rate their longevity, but I've had them on since 1997 with no problems. My factory exhaust was crumbling and this seemed to me a reasonable solution for the money. I ordered direct from S&S and paid $161 for the headers and $118 for the muffler (plus freight).

For syncro owners, I had to drop the skid plate to do the install and haven't looked into modifications that appear necessary to accomodate the headers, a rear anti-sway bar and easier oil filter changes.

TJ Sheffield '87 Syncro Westfalia