Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Sep 1999 17:39:59 -0300
From:         Malcolm Stebbins <Malcolm.Stebbins@MSVU.CA>
Subject:      Re: Misc Questions
Comments: To: "Alan J. Flint" <ajflint@ITSA.UCSF.EDU>

> Hello Listers: Enjoying the recent discussions. Took our first real drive (to > hike Monadnock) yesterday in our 2 week old Syncro Westfalia. Seems to be > running pretty well. So far I have changed oil and filter, spark plugs, top > seal. I plan to change fuel filter, brake fluid, and coolant soon.

And get the fuel line replacement kit from Ken Wilfre before your van springs a fuel leak and burns!!!!!

> Questions: > 1) Washing curtains and matress covers. They really need a wash, and it > looks like the the smart choices are hand wash or dry clean. Anyone ever > put them in the wash (cold?).

I took mine to a laundromat and used the big tumble washers - worked great. and a trick I learned on this list is when re-installing the mattress, put the mattress in a big plastic bag and then put that (open end of the bag first - but folded over ) into the cover and then pull the plastic bag out - what a breeze that will be over the way I struggled with it.

> 2) Gear box. This may be normal, but the > throw for 4th gear is very > short on our van. Consequently, I have trouble > knowing if I'm in it. Is > this normal, or should I look into adjusting my > linkage? 3) LP Tank: OK, > how do I know when it is nearing empty? Dumb > question, or am I missing an > indicator gauge somehow?

You don't know, you just run out of gas - real clever VW!

> 4) Cover: I just > need something to keep dust and dirt off her while I am > working on > someting else - inside the barn. Has anyone tried the > inexpensive covers > at Walmart? I believe size VB-2 or something in > recommended for the > Vanagon +/- camper. Of course I can't find one, but . > . .

yes I use an inexpensive cover works OK for me.

> 5) Coolant: > Well, I know I want only this cool VW phoshate-free coolant > and distilled > water. What should I pay (per gallon) for coolant at the > dealer (my last > resort generally)? Is there another good source? I don't > see it at fast > german, bus depot, etc. > > Well, that's all that's > perplexing me at the moment.

There was a post about John Deere having silicate free and phosphate free coolant - I called my local dealer and they had it. I don';t worry about the price, what ever you pay to keep the engine OK will more th an cover a head job .