Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Sep 1999 08:03:22 -0400
From:         Bob Donalds <bostneng@FCL-US.NET>
Subject:      Re: Aircooled hydrolic lifter problems
Comments: To: Lane Cooper <lanecooper@HOTMAIL.COM>

Lane Cooper wrote: > > All you waterheads may not know how to help me but maybe you can direct me > to someone who can. I rebuilt me engine and originally put no preload on > the new lifters (at top dead center). This was done so they would properly > bleed out all the air, and starts would not have noisy lifters. It worked > great. Next step was to preload the lifters 1/2 a turn. I've heard > anywhere from 1/4 to 2 full turns so I am confused as to what is right. > Back to my problem. Now, when mornings are cold, I have 1 or 2 knocking > lifters. This does go away, but then my engine has idling problems and low > power, until it is warm. This never happened when there was no preload on > the lifters. I guess my question is: is it bad to have little or no preload > on lifters? And could I possibly have fuel injection issues or other > problems? The weird thing is that, as soon as my engine warms up (which is > no longer than 10 min) it runs like a charm. > > Please Help > > Lane > > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com Lane lifters that have been preloaded when still soft can remain soft. preloading lifters to soon can also give the engine a low vacuum condition at idle and very low power threw the rpm range.To test lifters pry on the rocker with a screw driver to see if its time to preload I set up all my hydraulic long blocks with 006ths lash 0 lash becomes preloaded when warm and can hold the valves open. My own air cooled 81 van has had no preload for the last year with not problems as for how much to preload the only time I give any adjusting screw more than a 1/2 turn is if the rocker is close to the retainer mostly air cooled with heads that have been milled making the push rods to long. The 1.9 and 2.1 engines I build get a .030 ths berg rocker shim to keep the screw sticking out enough does anybody have any info on the last tech info vw put out on hydraulic lifter adjustment? Bob Donalds www.bostonengine.com