Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Sep 1999 20:44:32 -0500
From:         Bob Berkemer <berky@WIN.BRIGHT.NET>
Subject:      C-4 for westy

Well,

The end is near.... I've tried to find replacement parts for the smashed top on my 84 westy but none are available in the Wisconsin Minnesota region. Lots of parts are available on the coasts but not in the center. Can't get off work to go get em and the truckers want a $1,000 to ship. Guess I'm gonna part out a mechanically beautiful westy cause the pop top can't be fixed, or blow it up and have a party!

The worse problem (and a word of advise to newbies) is don't wreck your westy in the midwest cause they aren't worth spit to bankers or insurance companies. Same case if you want to buy a new one.

I've looked all over the last two months for a late model (87-91) westy syncro and have found a good number available around the country (that translates to east coast and west coast) and the prices have ranged between $16,000 and $22,000. It appears these are the "real" prices these things are going for but NOT in the midwest.

I've contacted a dozen banks in Wisconsin. A mint 89 westy syncro is worth between $5,000 and $7,000 to them. Same thing with the insurance companies. USAA essentially classified them with Hugos. I've found NO bank or insurance company that uses Blue book prices period. I've pointed out the west coast prices but as one banker said they have only a passing interest in the west coast and thats on whether California falls into the ocean!

So, unless you got very deep pockets nice late model westies and particular syncros have to remain a dream cause you have to come up with the remaining $12,000 to $15,000 cash. Then it's going to be insured for $7,000

Anybody got a nice westy syncro for around $10,000?????

Bob