Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Sep 1999 18:14:07 -0500
From:         Bob Berkemer <berky@WIN.BRIGHT.NET>
Subject:      cost of a westy

HELP!

I guess I am hopelessly nieve. I've been looking for a replacement for our recently tree attacked westy and am running into very unexpected problems! My wife and I decided to get a later model vanagon westy and possibly a syncro. Well after a net search they are indeed out there and I'm finding 88 to 91 westy syncros in very good condition for proces between $16,000 and 20,000. High prices but then there ain't anything else like them and we aren't ever likely to see westies imported again sooooo the prices are high and the owners are getting them at least it appears that way.

Well, I've found a nice 89 westy syncro out west with low milage for say a little over $16,000. Now take that to the bank and they just stare at you. Book value to them is about $7,000 and I've been to two different places they will loan around $5,000 but no more. Seems that unless you're wealthy ya can't buy a late model syncro!

Now go to the insurance company......same thing. Value around $7,000 won't insure it for a penny more. How can a person spend that much money and insure it at less than half of the real market and replacement value? Am I missing something?

Bob