Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Sep 1999 01:47:36 -0400
From:         Janette & Dick Smith <varieze@ASCENT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Advice on buying
Comments: To: Jim Cain <jcain@MINDSPRING.COM>

We bought our Westy in Augusta, GA in May of 97 for the sum of $3,000 and it included all original equipment as well as the POs camping equipment. Pots, pans, silverware, lanterns, etc. I checked the site www.ep.com at least twice a day for over 6 months prior to finding it. And if it wasn't for the spouse we wouldn't have it today, as when it came up at 3 grand and she asked "Why don't you check on that one dear" I replied at that price it has to be a parts car or a junker. When I finally checked at her insistance and it turned out to be a good buy. We took a weekend, drove from NY to GA and brought it home. I had never driven any type of VW prior to this so I guess that was a plus as I simply kept it in the green and still do. Bought at 89,000 mi and now has 109,000 mi. No leaks and no repairs yet, other than an alternater replacement just before purchase (knock on wood). We are the third owners and owner number two bought it for the sole purpose of going to Alaska during the 50 year celebration of the AlCan Highway, so it has seen some travel. The PO had me use his plates and insurance to bring the vehicle home and then mail them back. Another thing that is quite remarkable is that according to servicing stickers on the door jamb this vehicle sat in his carport for the better part of 3 years. The stickers were 32 months apart and showed just 37 miles difference between them. Probably sounds ficticious to some but we have it and all the paperwork to boot. Also I said that I had never driven a VW prior to this but I have had some experience with the engines as I'm a past member of the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) and have used two different VW engine conversions in past projects. To my best knowledge I have around 150 hours flying time behind VW engines.

Janette & Dick Smith 85 Westfalia--Sally Ann Norwich, NY ----- Original Message ----- From: Jim Cain <jcain@MINDSPRING.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 1999 5:50 PM Subject: Re: Advice on buying