Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Sep 1999 06:59:37 -0500
From:         Randolfo Esperante <shaner@FAMENT.COM>
Subject:      [Fwd: Re: [vanagon] shifting problem]
Comments: To: vanagon <vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

Hello,

I have the problem described below but have been unable to apply the fix. My shift rods are stuck together hard! I have tried WD-40 and pulling like mad but still a no budge. I am concerned that I may damage the rods by applying any more force. Any ideas for resolving this problem? Thanks

Chip Shaner

In the last few months I have done this adjustment on an 85, 86 Syncro, and an 87. They all had the same symptom. Intermittent difficulty shifting into 1st, overcome by pushing down towards reverse. I turned the shaft as described by about the width of one hair. All were fixed by this. Judging by the undercoating on the shaft, none had this connection disturbed since they left the factory. Before you loosen and turn anything, make a mark on the 2 pieces for reference so you can tell if and how much you move it. Move it only a tiny amount, less than one spline on the shaft. Test the shifting to make sure it is better and not worse. There are pieces up front in the shifter box that wear and I think this is some of the cause of the trouble. The "fix" is so simple, why replace the worn parts unless necessary.

Mark

Chip & Stephanie wrote: > > From: Chip & Stephanie <shaner@fament.com> > > Hello, > > Our '86 Vanagon has been dormant for 3 months waiting for a clutch. > Finally, I found someone that I could trust that wasn't charging $600. > When I picked it up he said that it was hard to get it in 1st, but he > did not drive it before so he wasn't sure if that was just the way it > was. Well, to get it into 1st you have to push down like you would for > reverse, only push it toward 1st gear. Other than that it shifts super > smooth and I have never felt a clutch like it. So, anyone familiar with > this specific shifting prolem? Thanks > > -- > Chip & Stephanie (who are very glad to have the Vanagon back. 7 People > in a Volvo Wagon is a tight fit!) > > www.fament.com/chip > > "I would be most happy if my children grew up to be the > kind of people who think decorating consists of building > enough bookshelves." -- Anna Quindlen > > --------------------------- ONElist Sponsor ---------------------------- > > ONElist members are using Shared Files in great ways! > http://www.onelist.com > Are you? If not, see our homepage for details. > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------