Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Sep 1999 02:43:10 -0400
From:         "Stanley, Kerry" <kstanley@CAS.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Waterpump replacement on '88?

Hi all,

Been there. Not much fun. I've heard from one listee that they did remove the pulley. I didn't want to get into that. You are right the pipe behind the pulley needs to come off to get the pump off. For one you will probably need to remove the short hose section at the right end of the pipe. I've heard it can go bad eventually so I replaced that as well. But the socket head bolts to get the pipe off the pump is the killer.

One socket head bolt can be reached with a hex wrench (either 6 or 8mm cannot remember) from below the bumper. May need to pry some muffler shielding out of the way. The other socket head I got off by using a short 3/4" piece of 6mm, or is it 8mm, hex drive stuck into the socket head bolt. Then placed a small wrench on the hex drive to get it out. Fortunately it didn't require a whole lot of torque. Actually I think it was a box end wrench of the right mm size slipped over the 3/4" stub sticking out of the socket head bolt. Very tight quarters. I would be open to other ideas.

While I was at it I replaced the pipe from the pump back to the thermostat housing. That pipe is a leak waiting to happen. It had sections that I poked through real easily, plus the joint where some small pipe comes off it back near the thermostat housing also was rusting and ready to leak. The pipe costs $70-80 as I remember.

Have fun swearing at it,

Kerry 86 syncro, 169K kstanley@cas.org

-----Original Message----- From: Shawn Wright [mailto:swright@MAIL.SLS.BC.CA] Sent: Thursday, September 16, 1999 12:20 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Waterpump replacement on '88?

snip

Now I have a new pump ($75 CDN for a new "GRAF" brand, made in EEC), and I have the old one loose, but it appears I need to remove either the pipe heading behind the big pulley, OR the pully itself, in order to get the pump off the studs and clear the small pipe (passenger side of pump). I'm leaning toward removing the mainshaft pulley, since it would make putting the pump back in much easier. But is this a bad idea? The Bentley says 248 ft-lb for that big 30mm bolt! Any advice on this one? I've searched the archives, but found no mention of this little problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Shawn Wright, I.T. Manager Shawnigan Lake School swright@SLS.bc.ca http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/swright http://www.sls.bc.ca