Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Sep 1999 05:04:57 PDT
From:         James Ruch <jpeterruch@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Waterpump replacement on '88?
Comments: To: swright@MAIL.SLS.BC.CA

Ya... I had to remove the main pulley to do the waterpump job on my '85 waterboxer. Not too terrible of a job. The pulley has holes in it that you can stick a hefty chisel through that will keep the crank from turning while you reef on that big bad nut. You'll definetely need at least a 1/2" drive for your socket and either a breaker bar or a cheater bar. The manuals recommend replacing the main seal when you reassemble but after digging and poking for a while, I gave up on that and after 15K miles have had no resulting problems. While you've got everything apart have a good look at little-- what are they about 1" ?-- water pipes. Replace them now if they show much corrosion. The whole system fits together like a jigsaw puzzle and you're not going to want to pull it apart again any time soon. I used a little gear grease to get some of o-ring fittings to slide together. Good Luck.

J. Peter '85 Transporter "Snugvagon"