Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Sep 1999 11:53:39 +1000
From:         Dom <dmoon@METZ.UNE.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Re: Align-boring?

I should clarify that when builders take exception to boring out a case to its max its usually for highly modified engines which place a much greater stresses on the bottom end. For a stock rebuild it may not be a problem at all. I'm not an expert myself and I'm sure those on the list who are will clear that up. My information says 0.060" is the maximum oversize you can safely bore but I don't know if this has changed for the waterboxer

As well, you are right. It would be impossible to align bore without fixing the case to a stable surface as what the case is affixed to is an essential part of getting the perpendicular within a fine tolerance and should be an inseparable part of the rig. This being said, of the two rigs I have seen powered by drills you would hardly call them portable.