Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Sep 1999 11:09:05 -0700
From:         Michael Snow <mwsnow@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Model 091 Transmission Question

In preparation for changing gear oil, I crawl under the van to discover that I don't have the correct size tools to remove the drain and fill plugs. No big deal. A trip to Sears for more tools is OK : )

I checked Bentley to decipher the numbers cast into the case. My engine is not stock, so I figure it's worth examining the tranny. The date code is DM14091. Bentley tells me this is a model 091 transmission built on 14th day of 10th month of 1981 (or 1991, but I doubt it).

This is where the confusion begins. Looking at the photo on page 3 in the General section, the 9 digit number is 091 301 103. There is an arrow pointing from the "091" on the photo to a label that says "Manual Transmission Type 091". I figure this is easy enough to decipher. My transmission, however, has a 9 digit code of 002 301 103. There is a large (twice the size of the 9 digit number) number "6" just above it. Also, the numbers are not cast in the same positions on the case shown in the photo. They are in the same general area, but arranged differently. All of these numbers are cast into the case (raised from the surrounding surface), not stamped in by a rebuilder.

For those of you with transmission experience, is this out of the ordinary? Am I being confused by some coincidence in the Bentley manual where the number of the pictured tranny just happens to start with the model number?