Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Sep 1999 11:26:48 +1000
From:         Ray G <nevilleg@ALPHALINK.COM.AU>
Subject:      89 transporter Good Run

Hi to all VW enthusiasts from Melbourne, Australia not Florida!, After 10 years and 320,000 klm's I am reluctantly retiring our 89' Transporter, I set it up with the odd shelves and storage areas for a quick weekend and extended getaways, very spartan no pop top and easily converted for 3 extra passengers. And after 585 nights, most on top of mountains (CB addicted) and in forests the VW never let us down. It has been bogged several times (hand winch out), survived 20,000 volts from overhead power lines (me too), traveled overseas to Magnetic and Kangaroo Islands, Tasmania and driven around Australia. It has had a water pump replaced(under warranty) a couple of speedo cables, a rear brake drum , radiator and the left bank water gasket (the right side is now leaking) and a throttle cable after years of dust and water at the lowest point rusted out, there is the odd seam rust and the throttle body is sticking...but the paint work looks like new! The last 250,000 klm's have been on L.P.G. (which is 1/3 rd the price of petrol) the gas is feed in via an aluminum block inserted between the air filter and the throttle assembly, An 80 liter tank is fitted behind the rear seat and gives a duel fuel range of 900 klm's ... A T4 LWB 2.4 TDI Auto with a Trakka camper conversion is replacing old faithful in November... ..I may just put the 89' on blocks in the garage and let one of the grandkids have it...next century !

Ray...ICQ 10371792 58' beetle. 64' beetle. 89' Transporter. 31' 32' 39' 72' and 84' Fords