Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Sep 1999 12:29:07 +1000
From:         Dom <dmoon@METZ.UNE.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Re: Marvel Mystery Oil; CD-2 Oil Detergent- Additives

Hi all

With all the talk on this stuff I ran a search on yahoo and found the following in this digest

http://pulsar.westmont.edu/aeronca/digest/engine/

"The ingredients were analyzed a few years ago in Light Plane Maintenance (and I've seen it somewhere else too). My recollection is that it is primarily a lightweight oil, solvents and TCP(same stuff as in Alcor). TCP tri-chloral phosphate(sp?) is a lead scavenger. I used to use Alcor religiously in my O-320 powered Pacer when I had to put 100LL in it. Really useful in engines that tend to get lead fouled plugs. The TCP and solvents in Marvel Mystery oil are probably the stuff that unsticks valves.

"Speaking of oil additives...here's an interesting article I came across. It addresses MMO and interestingly says products of its type aren't useful in modern engines, but did have their place in older automotive and motorcycle engines(I guess that would apply to ALL aircraft engines since they haven't changed substantially or in most cases at all since the 40's)."

Kinchen, Curtis B

The link which accompanied this is unfortunately dead but I would assume that the author was referring to the fact that modern engines are lead free so not useful in antifouling. (I,m not sure about the aircooled vanagon. Did they convert them to lead free?). Good idea to use it as a top -end lubricant though

Dom :)

----- Original Message ----- From: Todd Thompson To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Sunday, September 19, 1999 11:42 PM Subject: Re: Marvel Mystery Oil; CD-2 Oil Detergent- Additives

I believe very strongly in MMO and CD-2 in the gas, as an upper cylinder head lubricant. I re use the CD-2 bottle for the MMO - I like the measure. I do not believe in putting them in the oil unless it is a few miles before an oil change. MMO is primarily Kerosene and detergents and will change the oil to a lower weight oil. No good.

Todd T 84 Westy Washington DC

[text/html]