Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Sep 1999 22:05:47 -0500
From:         Bill Johnson <bjohns@DTX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Amsoil vs. Mobil Delvac vs. RedLine Diesel Oils?
Comments: To: Dan Q <danquin@EROLS.COM>

I don't understand how any oil can cut down on the number one contamination; blow by, with the associated dilution of the oil by diesel fuel. I think all diesel oils turn black because of suspended carbon. I don't think brand or type of oil will make a difference here either. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Bill

----- Original Message ----- From: Dan Q <danquin@EROLS.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, September 19, 1999 10:08 PM Subject: Re: Amsoil vs. Mobil Delvac vs. RedLine Diesel Oils?

Bob,

You may have a point...but isn't a 1.6 diesel in a westy pushing it to the max (especially up those long mountain roads).

My engine is a new VW factory job...and I would like to keep it running as nice as possible as long as possible...

I have used Castrol 15W40 diesel rated oil (not synthetic) in it, but noticed that it blackens terribly almost right after it is changed (at regular intervals).

I have heard that the oils that I have asked about perform really well, and cut down on this oil contamination greatly...

Thanks for the imput...hopefully with enough responses like yours, I can make an educated decision.

Dan ----- Original Message ----- From: Bob Berkemer <berky@WIN.BRIGHT.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, September 19, 1999 9:19 PM Subject: Re: Amsoil vs. Mobil Delvac vs. RedLine Diesel Oils?