Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Sep 1999 20:28:01 -0700
From:         George Chapman <landmark@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      More Tailight Glow

Hi, Volks;

After an off-List discussion with Per Lindgren about tailight arrangement, I learned that the "cateye" (fresnel) lens reflector, inboard of the standard US tailight location, has a light bulb socket behind it. (Per, tells me the standard Euro tailight setup is a bulb behind the "cateye")

Hmmm. Since I would like more tailight glow, I opened up the tailight assembly and with some quick testing realized I could power a bulb in the "cateye" socket--- if I had the appropriate bulb clip (like the other sockets). I found some clips at the junkyard, installed them, connected the appropriate little "nibs" of the metal circuit board, and stuck in a 5W tailight bulb. Ooooh! So much light. Now I have two bulbs aglow (the "cateye" dazzles with light).

Not certain this is of any interest, but thought I'd pass along my discovery. Such as it is.

- - George Chapman, 91 GL Lake Almanor, CA

PS. I also realized (but did not test) that if you swap the tailight assembly (left/right), and then invert them, the tailight bulbs will be on top. This may be of interest to those living in snow country, where snow build up on the bumper can obscure the tailights.