Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Sep 1999 23:53:36 -0700
From:         Dave Bayer <daveb@CP.NET>
Subject:      notes on SA 2.0L inline 4 conversion

So living in the SF Bay Area, and liking the sound of the inline 4 engine conversion that Peter B was talking about, I drove out to take a look at it. I've got a couple tech questions for those who have access to Bosch manuals so if you don't want to read this but would like to help with those, skip to the astericks...

This conversion is based on a 2.0 "nontall" block (the block actually had a 1.8 cast mark on it, but Peter's guide said it was a 2.0L engine). To look at, the conversion is very clean. Since the SA kit does not use the tall block, there is no interference from the frame rail - though it is a close fit. The van felt more powerful than my syncro's wasserboxer. Noteably, I had trouble getting his van into 1st, so I just started out in 2nd from starts; the engine didn't seem to have a problem with this. Also, there is no cutting of the input shaft on the tranny. There is a little clipping of sheetmetal in the engine compartment - which I believe was documented in his webpage. The van held and accelerated on reasonably steep hills (not like my motorcycle but that's kind of an unfair comparision). The increase in power probably isn't going to blow your socks off, but did allow meto maintain 60 in 4th on the hills just east of Folsom Lake on US50 for those of you who know the area (just east of Sacromento). This was with an empty van, so next time I'll bring a few bags of sand to simulate the load I usually am carrying ;)

When I drove it, it had 60 miles on the second tank of gas since he put the motor in the van, so I have no idea as to what kind of mileage this thing gets.... Also, Peter said there is a separate kit for the syncro, the information for which he is waiting on. There are some possible problems with supporting the skid plate as the I4 extends to and just past the point where the old engine carrier crossed the rear of the van. So I guess some of this maybe premature until he gets his hands on these documents...

Ok, so on to the pros and cons: pros: - It's more powerful, but it is hard to say how much more just from driving it. - It's clean and easy to get at everything. I think it's easier to get at most of the stuff than in my golf. There is a little more clearance than in my golf to access the timing belt cover, etc. - In terms of conversions, the intake on this one is very nice. Nice rubber boot coming off the throttle body (and air meter?) going to the air cleaner which retains the snorkel (albeit on the other side of the van). - No cutting of the input shaft. - Nice exhaust system (in terms of grade of tubing, radius of curves, etc).

cons: - Increased noise on full throttle acceleration. This seems to "plague" all I4 conversions. Would like to have had a long time to play - removal of stock power steering reservoir mount in the engine compartment. I have forgotten why you need to remove this - I think it will interfere with the alternator. This just means you would have to do some welding if you ever sold your van and wanted to put your conversion into the other van you had/were buying ;) - Possible smog issues at least in CA. The SA vans do not have an O2 sensor, so the wiring harness for this conversion does not include a port for the O2 sensor. More below. - Since this is a SA engine conversion, there is a possiblity that I will not be able to get replacement parts for it (like the custom heater pipe extensions that replace that plastic coolant manifold on at least 86 and up vans)...

Ok, so my only real problem is with the possiblity of not having an O2 sensor as without an O2 sensor, there is no way I can convince a CARB referee that this engine could be anything like an engine out of a later VW.

So what I now and trying to figure out is if the Motronic ECU has a pin out for an O2 sensor. So far, I have not been able to find any techincal data on any of the Bosch ECUs except those that were used in the vanagons ;) If someone could tell me if Bosch part 9 261 204 017 (978) has an O2 sensor pin in it, it would be GREATLY appreciated. Or if anyone knows of a source of information where I can start tracking this down, I would greatly appreciate it... I really would like to get one of these into my syncro before the snow starts falling in the Sierras ;)

TIA

dave