Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Sep 1999 08:30:55 -0500
From:         Gary Basey <gbasey@LINK2000.NET>
Subject:      High RPM Misfire --  Update

This morning I went out to do a compression check on the van and when I started it I noticed it was running fine (I pulled the number 2 plug wire and the engine started to misfire like you would expect). So I took it for a drive and for the first 5-6 minutes it ran good then the misfire fire started again. I stopped and pulled the number 2 plug wire and there was no change. Could this misfire be temperature dependant? If so what might be the cause?

I also noticed that there is a loose lifter (rattle didn't go away). I'll have to check those lifters later today.

I switched the injector wires for the #1 and #2 as suggested by a list member. That seemed to lead to the misfire becoming intermittant (comes and goes through RPM range.)

Oh, I almost forgot the compression test revealed 115 - 125 on all four cylinders. This moter was rebuilt about 6,000 miles ago.

Sorry for the random thoughts but I've been so involved in this problem I seem to have lost my objectivity (and sanity). If you have any suggestions please let me know!!

Thanks

Gary

80 westy (electronic ignition)