Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Sep 1999 11:59:30 -0400
From:         Mark Gajewski <mgajewski@MANVILLERUBBER.COM>
Subject:      cooling lines and hoses

Well, what an exciting trip.....last night about 10pm coming home from a weekend in the north country I had a metal cooling line blow about 10 miles south of Saratoga Spgs. Luckily had my 100 lb. tool box with me (that's why I carry the stupid thing) and managed to lay in my puddle of coolant, break off the old clamps, cut the metal pipe back to solid metal, reclamp the hose and refill and bleed the coolant tank. Got home at 3AM but at least we made it. So the question.....

What is the general belief on replacement of hoses and lines? Is it sensible to only replace as needed because they have virtually infinite life, or should they all be replaced as maintenance...I gather to replace all hoses and lines is a rather costly and time consuming job??? Any estimates on cost for materials? Sources for the hoses and lines? Noticed last night that my power steering lines are looking about ready to go too. Nights like last make me wonder if driving a 15 year old van 600 miles a weekend isn't asking for trouble. Thankfully it's still warm and I was near a well lit parking area and my wife finds it amusing to see me covered in hot coolant lying under the van trying to get her home.....Can't imagine what it would have been like on a -10 January night on a desolate stretch.

Brings me to my next question....before I sell my Audi 15" wheels, does anyone know if they would fit a Eurovan, without requiring mods? I might just have to find a newer van one of these days afterall.

Thanks, Mark