Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Sep 1999 00:59:19 -0700
From:         Randolph Feuerriegel <RFeuerriegel@BC.SYMPATICO.CA>
Subject:      2.0L Conversion 5K update, longish

Greetings all.

For those who are thinking about engine conversions, I thought that a 5000 Km review would be of interest. While not a long term review by any means it might offer some insight to those contemplating the swap. First off, no regrets. If the WBX were more reliable to me, less expensive to fix, and a bit more power I might not have gone this route. The WBX was not trashed, just showing its age but still had some resale value. Having owned numerous VW's in the past, I had forgotten how torquey an 8V engine is. Its alot of fun. The Audi 2.0L in my syncro has about the same torque as the WBX did in the lower rpm range, but get it up over 4000, it really sings. Even in 4th gear there is pull. It happily runs up to 6000 rpm, probably more, my tach can't show it. For the first time I had the van up over 150 Km/h, previous top speed 137 km/h. Its very comfortable cruising at 100 to 120 km/h, spinning at about 4000 rpm. My hwy mileage has improved from 13 litres per 100 Km to 11 litres. City is higher. That translates to about 25 mpg(Imp), 21.5 US gal. The engine is out of Audi 80, 2.0L, stamped on the block, has about 120,000 km on it, and I expect it to go for quite awhile. FI is CIS-E with knock sensor, o2 sensor, but not Motronic. I purchased the FastForward basic kit(adapter, flywheel & crossmember), plus David did the wiring harness/fuel pump relay from one I supplied so it becomes almost a plug and play. I also purchased the platform for the coolant reservoir and airbox. The new crossmember is a simple bolt on, engine sits at a 15 degree angle which also means the deck lid has to be modified a few inches. There is no loss of ground clearance and my skid plate fits fine. Actually, I did put in a 3/8" shim to drop the old crossmember down as to avoid hitting the p/s pump. The p/s reservoir does not have to be moved, but I did find one hose a bit of a stretch. Found an Audi p/s hose with same fitting only longer. The exhaust system was fabricated locally, a 2 into 1 down pipe, cat and a free flowing 6" dia. canister type muffler. Stock WBX cat, I could have used the stock WBX muffler, but it is quite restrictive. Admittedly, I miss the off beat idle of the WBX, but this engine with the throttle on at 4500 rpm and up has a decent growl to it. I did have a few vibration problems with the new exhaust(hanger issue)but that is pretty much sorted. Engine noise is not quite sorted yet, my modified lid needs insulation, but I have had the lid covered with stuff and found the noise level no different than the WBX. Just a different tune. In the long run this setup for me should be cost effective, parts at FLARS are in abundance and cheap, hey, in a few years the 1.8T will be available used, should almost bolt right in! (a bit more work). If you are planning on doing a conversion with a used engine, try to get everything you need from one good donor vehicle. Can save you a few headaches. Engine bay aesthetics is what you make of it, hoses, wiring etc. Mine does not have the "factory look", but it comes pretty close. The cost of this conversion was roughly 4000.00 Cdn., compared to 7000.00 Cdn. plus install, for a "factory fit". I sold the WBX for 1400.00 Cdn. which offset some of the cost. Over all I am quite pleased with the swap, pleased with FastForwards conversion kit and with David's assistance. A few other observations to note, the increased power is reminding me to get the brakes done, maybe upgrade to vented discs. My worn shocks are showing more so now, so that it is the works soon, rears done. Checking the oil means lifting the deck lid, a minor inconvenience. On the other hand, engine maintenace is easier than the WBX. Thats it for now, feel free to drop me line if want to know more about the swap. Take care. -- R.Feuerriegel 88 syncro