Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Sep 1999 11:06:12 +1000
From:         Dom <dmoon@METZ.UNE.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Re: 86 Westy Question

Also

Check the water level in the battery If it looks low it may have boiled off which would indicate a faulty regulator. This problem quite often is hidden around town but during a long trip, the battery really gets a chance to heat up. If you have trouble getting battery power for cranking the morning after such a drive, this can commonly be the cause.

Has happened to our VW mechanic to my father when he had his type 2 and recently to myself in my 89 transporter

Dom :) ----- Original Message ----- From: John To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 1999 9:58 PM Subject: Re: 86 Westy Question

Brent David Kardell wrote: > > Hi there everybody, > > I just completed a 3 month road trip with my 86 Westy with no > problems, and now that I'm back home, it won't start. All the > electricals work, but it won't even TRY to turn over. Does anyone > have any suggestions of where I can check first, or direct me to a URL > location where this has already been discussed? I'm obviously not a > mechanic, and would like to avoid a mechanic as well. Any help is > very much appreciated! > > I hope everyone is have a great day! > > Brent Kardell > 86 Westy > Oakland, Ca.

Hi Brent,

You symptom could be many things, so the following is just food for thought:

Is the engine free to rotate - not seized or locked up ?

Is the battery in good condition & fully charged (SG = 1.260 all cells)?

Are the battery cables clean & tight at the batt terminals, ground connections and the starter solenoid ?

Is the transmission to chassis ground strap clean & tight ?

Is the ignition switch electrical plug tight on the switch (behind steering column plastic trim cover) ?

Is the crank wire (KL 50) tight on the male pin connection on the starter motor solenoid (this can be very difficult to check so if there is a poor connection it is very likely to be overlooked) ?

Are the starter motor bolts (2) tight ?

If all previous checks are OK, remove the KL 50 wire from the solenoid and check for power when the ignition switch is in the crank position. If there is power (>10V) the starter is the likely problem. If there is no power, the ignition switch is the culprit.

Good luck, JP

[text/html]