Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Sep 1999 12:42:37 -0700
From:         Randolph Feuerriegel <RFeuerriegel@BC.SYMPATICO.CA>
Subject:      Re: 2.0l conversion

Hi Grant

My vibration comes in about 2700 rpm, mostly due to the exhaust note on deceleration. My current solution is to add another hanger after the muffler. As is, the main hanger is welded to the pipe just after the cat and before the muffler. This bracket is attached to the block. That left the muffler and tailpipe freely suspended. It's weight alone from flexing causes vibration. My setup is similar to to WBX, cat and muffler inline at the back, where I believe yours has the cat off to the side, a bend to the muffler as in the Eurospec photos. I am not sure what type of hanging system you have. As for the noise, as I wrote I have not done anything yet, only noticed that when I had stuff, (boxes, wood etc)over the new lid, it was like the former noise level in the WBX. I plan on insulating the deck lid at sometime. The type of muffler you use will also determine the noise level. Originally I had an exhaust manifold with one outlet which was quieter and less vibration, but the 2 into 1 downpipe dramatically increased my torque, but it is a bit louder and more vibration to deal with. Hope this helps.

Grant Holst wrote: > > Randolph, > Could you tell me how you fixed your vibration problem > and what you did to quiet the interior noise. I have a Eurospec > conversion in my '85 GL and I get a vibration/buzz at about > 3500 rpm. The noise level at freeway speeds is too loud also. > > Grant

-- R.Feuerriegel 88 syncro