Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Sep 1999 16:07:07 -0400
From:         William Dummitt <williamd@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bears, Food, and Westies

This subject comes up on the list from time to time, and I can only offer

my personal experience.

I have never experienced, nor heard of, a bear searching for food entering a Westy occupied by people. I've spent several weeks a year for the past several years camping in a VW in bear country in the US and Canada and haven't seen it yet. So I don't think you have to worry too much about sleeping in your Westy with your food in the cabinets and fridge.

Bears entering an unoccupied vehicle for food is a different story- this happens all the time, with Westys or any other vehicle. Years ago in Yosemite I had a bear tear the interior of my unoccupied car to shreds to

get at food in the trunk. ( For some reason Yosemite is and always has been one of the worst places for bears breaking into cars, much worse than Yellowstone, Alaska, Canada, or other well-known bear habitat.) And I've

dashed out of a tent more than once to chase away a bear trying to get into an unoccupied car nearby. But I think for the most part bears will choose targets other than occupied vehicles.

Your best bet in places where bears are numerous is to keep food out of sight- don't leave food containers or coolers where they can be seen by a

bear looking in. Keep the vehicle and your camp as clean as possible and

avoid really odiferous food such as bacon. I think if the inside of your

vehicle is uncluttered looking without piles of bags and boxes(hard to do

on long trips) they are less likely to try to break in.

And make sure your comprehensive insurance is paid up.

Bill www.geocities.com/yosemite/gorge/1706