Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Sep 1999 15:07:38 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: VW Australia v Busdepot
Comments: To: Steve@SCHWENK-LAW.COM

Steve and all,

Most mechanics/shops consider the profit on parts as part of their normal income. If you have a shop that's willing to use your parts, consider yourself blessed.

We tend to think in terms of the consumer (logical, since that's what we are), but it helps to put yourself in the other guys shoes occasionally. If you bring a widget for your mechanic to install and it doesn't work, typically you're going to expect the mechanic to in some way warranty that widget, at least to the extent of troubleshooting it. Reasonable? Probably not, but most shops will do it and write off the loss. I've seen some pretty unreasonable customers at the shop that works on my van, and a good number of the unreasonable ones are the ones that put the shop at a disadvantage by bringing in their own parts.

This is not to knock you or your shop, just to remind us all that the shops are in business to make a buck or two here and there.

Karl Wolz

----- Original Message ----- From: <Steve@SCHWENK-LAW.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 1999 9:55 AM Subject: Re: VW Australia v Busdepot