Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Sep 1999 22:20:25 -0500
From:         Jay & Kim Schmidt <schmidt5@HSONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: oil leaks:beware, vender praise content!
Comments: To: LAWS HOME <backintime@TRITON.NET>

WHAT??? I am fixing my leaky ones right now. I think you'll like this. My 84 had 8 leaky ones. Three were already the telescoping type and five were the solids. I called up AVP to get a few other gaskets that BD said were "dealer-only" parts, and mentioned the same dilemma to them.(not pulling my heads either.) They were VERY cool and said that new tele-units were $20 each(x5), but offered to find 5 good used ones off their cores and send them with new seals for $5 each. They arrived and were perfect...looked brand new as they were run thru the parts cleaner before shipping. I'd encourage you all to give AVP a call for some of the hard to find neccessities for your engines. I could have hunted forever for some of those little things-exhaust studs, oil-filler neck-to-case gasket, intake runner to head phenolic (sp?) blocks. Most of these items are not profitable for the parts guys to stock(or you must buy a whole "kit"), but you know an engine builder has all the goodies. Call and talk to Erin. She is always most helpful to me. That was especially cool to get FIVE telescoping VW push-rod tubes for $25 total! Hope this helps! Glad you got that van running finally!

Jay-9k miles on my AVP rebuilt '77 2litre since 5-99.

PS: BD is good too. After being a little disgruntled with my very first order, I have since come to like them and trust them fully. Several orders with only positive experiences. Use AVP and BD...they are straight shooters.