Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Sep 1999 09:11:27 -0400
From:         Michael Townsend <townsend@RTP.ERICSSON.SE>
Subject:      bad gas mileage

Hi,

My 90 Carat 4spd with a new VW Waterboxer only gets about 14 in town and 16 on the highway. This is all with the AC on. I realize the AC is a big load, but I am dissapointed in this mileage. The emissions checked out fine after the rebuilt engine was installed, but I do not know about the age of the O2 sensor. Someone mentioned the Temp II sensor. I presume the Temp I sensor is for the guage (which works fine) and the other one (Temp II) is for the computer. Now, my radiator fan works perfectly, going to the various speeds when it should. Is it therefore safe to assume that my Temp II sensor is fine?

The only other theory I have is the AC itself. After my new engine (with new belts) was installed for a while, I guess the belts "broke in" a little bit and needed to be tightened. When the AC was turned on, one of the belts squealed -- not the compressor belt, but the alternator belt. I tightened the belts, but I wonder if the alternator is having to work too hard with the AC on. Maybe my AC is one of those drawing 50 amps through bad connections. Can someone tell me where those high resistance connections are that need to be cleaned? I certainly don't want an electrical fire, either. Oh yeah, after I clean all of the connections with CRC, what was the name of the stuff I am supposed to spray on them to prevent future corrosion?

Thanks, Michael Townsend townsend@rtp.ericsson.se