Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Sep 1999 13:41:06 -0700
From:         Michael Snow <mwsnow@HOME.COM>
Subject:      1982 Diesel Differences, Underseat Storage Door

While working on my Westy last weekend, I noticed that there are some differences between it and another '82 diesel Westy owned by Mark Drillock. On my van, the radio antenna is mounted in two places to the right side A pillar. His antenna is a single mount on the left side below the windshield. The shift points marked on our speedometers are also different. Mine is marked at 14, 26, 42 MPH while Mark's are all at higher speeds. Now I REALLY want a tach! Mark speculated that my van may not have been sold through the regular US dealer network, and may possibly have been imported by an individual from Europe. Can anyone tell me if there is any significance to these seemingly minor differences between what appear to be identical vans?

Also, the little doors used to access the storage (battery for gas model) boxes under my front seats are so long that it is impossible to open them. The door extends about 2 inches beneath the seat swivel assembly. Is this normal? I would like to store spare parts and tools under the right seat, and I know there are electrical components on the left side. I would cut the door, but it's really hard to work on it in place. Any suggestions?

Mike Snow 1982 Westy Diesel