Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Sep 1999 18:11:45 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Help -Stranded & need advice...
Comments: To: Sean O'Neil <soneil@NS.SYMPATICO.CA>

My 84 manual transmission did this a couple of times this summer. The starter solunoid sometimes sticks. All I would get is a clicking noise and that is it. Take a BFH (big ___ hammer) and give it a good rap, this is how I got mine going. If this fails, I would suggest seeing if there is 12V at the red/black wire on the starter when you have the key in the cranking position. If there is 12V there and the BFH isn't work, it's new starter time. If there is not 12V there, then there is a wiring problem. To get you home you can manually supply 12V to that pin on the starter to get the engine going (be carefull though!).

Good luck with it!

At 09:53 PM 25/09/1999 -0300, Sean O'Neil wrote: >I throw myself on the mercy of the list. > >The facts: > >84 Westy, 1.9L. automatic. >164,000 Kilometres > >Until now, runs like a top. No head leaks, no power fades, rigourously >maintained. In the last two months I have replaced the rad and front >connector hoses due to a rad meltdown. At same time replaced front >calipers, pads, and had rotors turned. New shoes in back and the >appropriate adjustments. > >This isn't a brake problem though ( at least I'm pretty sure it isn't ). > >Replaced ECU (digijet) in early summer. My van loved having a new brain. >Ran better than ever. > >Today I drove to our local farmers market where we sell leather items. >Van runs fine. Drive to the grocery store after (where a large number of >farmers market craft vendors buy their food cause we can't afford the >stuff sold at the market). Again, Van runs fine. > >Drive to the local for a pint with friends. Van runs fine. > >Drive to the liquour store on the way home because we are supposed to >market all day tomorrow and I'll sure want a thirst quencher at the end >of the day (Canada - no liquour, wine, or beer sales on Sunday). Van >runs fine. > >Pick up our beverage selection for Sunday evening. Go to start the van - >nothing. Starter doesn't even attempt to turn over. Move all our market >goods off the rear cushion, open engine cover and have wife try to start >van. Fuel pump is good, whirring away as it should, but that's it. Seems >to be power to lights, radio, etc but no starter kickover at all. > >As it is dark, rainy, and we are stranded in front of a very busy liquor >store in Halifax on a Saturday night. there is nothing to do but lock it >up tight and tell the liquor store manager and the resident police >officer that she's broke and it's too dark and busy to try doing >anything about it right now. They are cool about it. So it won't be >towed in the morning. > >I did check fuses and battery cables. All looked well. I have no idea >how to proceed from here. I'm sure it's something simple and >straightforward but all common sense left me when this very reliable >vehicle left me stranded with groceries, a dog, a wife in tears, and a >market to be at tomorrow a.m. > >I'll just add that this van is my daily driver, I have no backup >transport, and I am fairly severely disabled. I can get under the van, >have a good set of rudimentary tools, and am willing to follow any >suggestions that the list might have but I am no mechanic. > >Please help with your suggestions if you can ... > >TIA > >Sean O'Neil >Halifax, Nova Scotia >Canada > >

-- David Marshall - - Quesnel, BC, Canada -- -- 78 VW Rabbit, 80 VW Caddy, 84 VW Westie, 85 VW Cabriolet -- -- 87 Audi 5000 Quattro, 88 2.0L VW Syncro Double Cab -- -- David's Volkswagen Home Page http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning http://www.fastforward.ca -- -- david@volkswagen.org (pmail) or vanagon@volkswagen.org (list) --