Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Sep 1999 19:30:08 -0700
From:         Ken Wyatt <kokopellis@ATT.NET>
Subject:      I tuned the 82 and now NO GO, help wanted

Hi Folks, Today I put in new points into my 82 westy.(aircooled 2.0l, Federal Model) While checking the dwell after setting the gap three times the van would not start at all. Now I'm getting no spark. I checked the rotor, coil, and coil wire for resisitance. The coil wire hit 8500 on the ohm meter. Bently says 2400 or less. (Problem?) The rotor was only 1200 where bentley says 4000 - 6000. (The old rotor was within spec, so I reinstalled it nd still no go.) The coil checked out ok except it hit 3.3 on terminal 1 to terminal 15 where Bentlay says it should be 2.6 - 3.1. The term 1 to 4 was in range at 8500 (Bentley: 6000 - 12000)

My question are: 1. Would the 8500 resistance on the coil wire cause a no start problem. That is my first guess.

The coil was slightly over t he range Bentlay called for. Is this coil bad or is 3.3 close enough.

Did I somehow hurt something when I connected my Dwell meter up? I connected it to Spark Plug wire 1, ground and terminal 1 on the coil as per the dwell meter manual.

I know it ran OK prior. I am thinking I may have damaged the coil wire after replacing the distributor cap and then opening it up several times to adjust the dwell. I plan to buy a new wire set and see what happens.

Anyone have an idea. Thanks, Ken Wyatt 82 westy (Gotta love electronic ignition)