Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Sep 1999 10:44:53 EDT
From:         Gary McEachern <glmce@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Help -Stranded &amp; need advice...
Comments: To: soneil@NS.SYMPATICO.CA

Sean

There are a number of things that could be causing the problem. These are: The ignition switch The start cut-out switch on the gear selector The starter solenoid The starter The wiring and connectors between these parts.

I have had the ignition switch fail and cause the symptom you are having. This is a good possibility but by no means a certainty!

I would recommend you start troubleshooting the problem by checking the start cut-out switch on the gear selector. I believe you can access this by removing the gear selector cover at the base of the shifter. The switch should have 12 V applied to it when the key is turned to the start position. Use a meter or 12V test light to probe the terminals.

Note: There should be two switches here, one is for the back-up lights, the other is the cut-out switch. First identify the cut-out switch. The back-up light switch should have 12V on one side(connection) whenever the ignition is switched "on" with gear selector in the park position. The cutout switch won't have voltage applied to either side unless the key is in the "start" position.

The cutout switch should have 12 v present on both sides when the selector is in the park position and the key is turned to the start position.

1.) If 12 V is present on both sides, the ignition switch and cutout switch is OK. The problem is the solenoid /starter or wiring to it.

2.)If 12 V is present on one side only (in park position), the cutout switch is bad. Check to see that the switch is being mechanically "activated" by moving the gear selector in and out of park position.

3.)If 12 V is not present on either side, the ignition switch or wiring to it is at fault. Note: With the gear selector in "park" you should be able to momentarily jumper 12V from the backup switch or battery to one of the connections on the cutout switch. If it cranks over, the problem is almost certainly the ignition switch. With the ignition switched "on", you can now start and move the vehicle. You can then complete the repair by fixing/replacing the ignition switch, cut-out switch, or starter/solenoid.

Gary

Gary McEachern, Reading Ma. '84GL,'87GL Wolfsburg '82L (4 sp, for sale)

----Original Message Follows---- From: Sean O'Neil <soneil@NS.SYMPATICO.CA> Reply-To: Sean O'Neil <soneil@NS.SYMPATICO.CA> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Help -Stranded & need advice... Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 21:53:04 -0300

I throw myself on the mercy of the list.

The facts:

84 Westy, 1.9L. automatic. 164,000 Kilometres

Until now, runs like a top. No head leaks, no power fades, rigourously maintained. In the last two months I have replaced the rad and front connector hoses due to a rad meltdown. At same time replaced front calipers, pads, and had rotors turned. New shoes in back and the appropriate adjustments.

This isn't a brake problem though ( at least I'm pretty sure it isn't ).

Replaced ECU (digijet) in early summer. My van loved having a new brain. Ran better than ever.

Today I drove to our local farmers market where we sell leather items. Van runs fine. Drive to the grocery store after (where a large number of farmers market craft vendors buy their food cause we can't afford the stuff sold at the market). Again, Van runs fine.

Drive to the local for a pint with friends. Van runs fine.

Drive to the liquour store on the way home because we are supposed to market all day tomorrow and I'll sure want a thirst quencher at the end of the day (Canada - no liquour, wine, or beer sales on Sunday). Van runs fine.

Pick up our beverage selection for Sunday evening. Go to start the van - nothing. Starter doesn't even attempt to turn over. Move all our market goods off the rear cushion, open engine cover and have wife try to start van. Fuel pump is good, whirring away as it should, but that's it. Seems to be power to lights, radio, etc but no starter kickover at all.

As it is dark, rainy, and we are stranded in front of a very busy liquor store in Halifax on a Saturday night. there is nothing to do but lock it up tight and tell the liquor store manager and the resident police officer that she's broke and it's too dark and busy to try doing anything about it right now. They are cool about it. So it won't be towed in the morning.

I did check fuses and battery cables. All looked well. I have no idea how to proceed from here. I'm sure it's something simple and straightforward but all common sense left me when this very reliable vehicle left me stranded with groceries, a dog, a wife in tears, and a market to be at tomorrow a.m.

I'll just add that this van is my daily driver, I have no backup transport, and I am fairly severely disabled. I can get under the van, have a good set of rudimentary tools, and am willing to follow any suggestions that the list might have but I am no mechanic.

Please help with your suggestions if you can ...

TIA

Sean O'Neil Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada