Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Sep 1999 11:16:54 -0400
From:         John <johnpatt@WARWICK.NET>
Subject:      Re: I tuned the 82 and now NO GO, help wanted
Comments: To: Ken Wyatt <kokopellis@ATT.NET>

Ken Wyatt wrote: > > Hi Folks, > Today I put in new points into my 82 westy.(aircooled 2.0l, Federal > Model)

> My question are:

> 1. Would the 8500 resistance on the coil wire cause a no start problem. > Probably not but it would make the coil work much harder and in time cause ignition coil failure. The coil wire should be replaced. To eliminate this fault entirely, intall a regular piece of wire in the center dist cap contact position and about 1/4" to a good ground and see if there is spark.

> The coil was slightly over t > he range Bentlay called for. Is this coil bad or is 3.3 close enough.

I don't think the coil was damaged by your testing and it's close enough to work properly.

>I connected it to Spark Plug wire 1, ground and terminal 1 on the coil as per the dwell meter manual.

Why are you connecting the dwell meter to #1 spark plug wire? Dwell is the coil "on" time and deals only with coil KL #1 & ground.

If there is no dwell reading I think you have defective ignition points or you shorted the coil Kl #1 circuit installing the new points.

With the ignition switched ON, Connect a voltmeter to coil KL #1, with the points closed it, should read zero and with the points open it should read battery voltage. All a dwell meter is after all is a voltmeter that can do no harm.

By the way, from my breaker point days I have 94 gazillion unopened little packets of breaker point cam lube I'll let go to a good home. Make me an offer, Please!!

Good luck, JP