Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Sep 1999 08:59:27 -0700
From:         "Johnson, Darrell" <JohnsonD@SYBRONDENTAL.COM>
Subject:      Cleaning inside of Headlamps- Strange Procedures and Incantations
              (Longish)
Comments: cc: "Tom L. Neal" <jneal@netcom.com>

A final report, from my humble perspective, for those interested in cleaning later model vans with the permanent headlamp lens/reflector assembly. I opted with a white vinegar/light dishsoap/distilled water method (described below). I do understand the rational of those who used alcohol, and I'm you have achieved good results. I also see the dishwashing machine approach as an alternative (although I would avoid abrasive detergents here). I decided to start with the light duty solution.

1. Have on hand about four gallons distilled water, white vinegar, and a non-lotion dishsoap, such as Ajax.

2. After removing the lenses and placing the bulbs aside, to help remove any water deposits, I poured a moderate amount of the white vinegar at full strength (8% acetic acid) into each lens, and swish to gain complete coverage. I left the lenses face down with the vinegar in them for a few minutes.

3. I then rinsed the inside of each lens with normal tap water. At this point my wife came over to ask me what the hey I was doing. Once she saw the Hella logo, she knew it was vanagon in nature, and therefore would involve strange procedures and incantations.

4. I prepared a very light solution of dishsoap (about two drops per quart) and distilled water. I then swished this solution around the inside of each lens.

5. Using the distilled water, I rinsed the inside of the lenses until there was no foam. Then, to be sure, I rinsed again.

6. Next, the longest phase- drying. It is absolutely imperative that you get all moisture out of the lenses. After a brief drip dry, I got out the hairdryer and blew out each lens on hot for about 15 minutes each. I then let the assemblies sit with a fan blowing towards the blub openings for about two hours. To be sure, I did another 15 minutes each with the hot jet blast.

7. My results where good, but not perfect. One lens had some minor spotting on the inside of the reflector. I assume this was due to the distilled water picking up some unwashed impurity that was insider that lens. With a latex gloved hand and some lens paper, I was able to fish-hook my finger on the spot and easily remove the problem. Had this been on the high-beam with the smaller opening I might have tried a rewash and then a stronger method if the problem continued.

8. Upon a re-install the beast's eyes now look brochure-shiny, and I can notice the beam improvement at dusk.

Darrell Johnson '90 Vanagon Carat Mission Viejo, CA

-----Original Message----- From: Tom L. Neal [mailto:jneal@netcom.com] Sent: Thursday, September 23, 1999 7:01 AM To: Johnson, Darrell Subject: Re: Cleaning inside of Headlamps?

Some people use alcohol and water. Some mild detergent. Let me know what works. I need to do this.

Cheers, Tom Neal