Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Sep 1999 12:08:25 -0700
From:         Tim King <tking_ms@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Minor tales of woe/new dead westy (long)
Comments: cc: kanas@quality.qadas.com, EMZ <vw4x4@fyi.net>

An update for all of you...

When we last talked, I told you about my newly purchased, syncro westy that died on me at a fireworks stand in Wyoming. I flew home and had the van hauled to me in Seattle. My biggest fear was a blown motor, but responses from the list put a positive spin on my problems. Special mention goes to Eric (EMZ) and Jon Kanas that said the van wasn't running because the O2 sensor wasn't getting any exhaust to do it's stuff on.

Eric suggested I disconnect the O2 sensor then compression start it and deal with the starter later. Jon went a bit farther with his careful thoughts about the wiring between the starter and the alternator and the brake warning circuit. I spent some time groping around the starter and sure enough, the solenoid power connector wasn't attached. After an hour of trying to cram my arm behind the starter, I connected the wire and hoped...

Once in the driver seat, I turned the key. The brake light was no longer glowing. BINGO! My westy started. Sure, it sounded like a tractor pull contestant in the Kingdome, but it ran. I ordered the exhaust pipe and gaskets from Bus Depot, installed that over the weekend, and now I'm in business! Next step is the fun projects (fridge on propane, propane heat, stereo, spare battery, etc...) and my gear oil leak (from the rear diff lock).

I just want to say thanks again for all the advice and the kind words. Also thanks again the Bob at Jolly Jack's Fireworks. If you ever find yourself in Point of Rocks, Wy, stop in and buy some bottle rockets or sparklers or something. Bob is a great guy and deserves a dose of good Vanagon list karma.

Thanks,

Tim King Seattle, WA 87 Syncro Westy 89 Audi 200tqw

----- Original Message ----- From: Tim King <tking_ms@HOTMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, September 09, 1999 4:19 PM Subject: Minor tales of woe/new dead westy (long)